When most people want something sweet, they tend to go for cakes, cookies and other similar foods. For people pressed for time, they”re easy to get and very popular. There are other ways to get an easy treat you and any guests will love. One of the best ways is to make a sandwich. While most people don”t usually think of sandwiches as a sweet, it”s easy to make them into one.
Fruit Sandwiches: The Healthy Sweet
Making a sandwich out of fruit is a great way to get that sweet taste while eating healthier. There are many different recipes out there to try. They”re pretty easy to make as well. One of these is the Date Sandwich. This kind of fruit sandwich goes well with almost any kind of bread as well. Here is what you”ll need to make one:
3/4 cup dates
1/4 cup nut meats.
- Wash the dates carefully and remove any seeds.
- Steam the dates using hot water or a double broiler to soften them.
- Once softened, mash the dates thoroughly.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and zest the rind.
- Mix the zest with the juice and add to the steamed dates.
- Chop the nut meats until they are very fine and add it to the mixture.
- Spread the mixture on one slice of bread, while buttering the other and put them together.
Other Types of Fruit Sandwiches
When it comes to fruit, the possibilities for a good sandwich are endless. The following recipe is made up of several different fruits and can easily be improvised for your own tastes and needs. It goes really well with white, brown, graham or whole-wheat breads.
Citrus Delight Sandwich
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup figs
- 1 orange.
- Wash the dates, figs and raisins, making sure to remove any stones in the dates.
- Steam them together until they are soft and easy to mash thoroughly.
- Add the juice from the grated rind of your orange.
- Spread one slice of bread with the filling, while buttering the other and put them together.
How to Make Apricot Sandwiches
This is one of the sweetest of the fruit sandwiches. If you don”t like apricots, don”t worry. You can still use the recipe below. All you have to do is use a favorite flavor of jelly or marmalade instead of apricots. Here are the ingredients you”ll need:
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Wash and soak the apricots until they are softened.
- Once softened, cook the apricots in water. Only use enough water to keep them from getting burned.
- Once the apricots are cooked, put them through a sieve or colander and add the remaining ingredients to the pulp.
- Place the mixture over a fire and cook it until it becomes thick, stirring often to make sure it doesn”t burn.
- Let the mixture sit for a while to cool, then spread it over one slice of bread. Butter the other slice and put them together, cutting off the crusts if you want to.
More Traditional Sandwiches
If you find you don”t have the time to make the mixtures yourself, there”s a more modern way to get that fruity taste. That means, of course, buying jelly or marmalade already made from the store. They”ll get you the same sweet taste; they just might not be as filling as some of the mixtures described here.
When making your sandwiches, you might want to consider spreading some butter on the bread first if the jelly you”ve chosen is a bit thin. This will keep the jelly from soaking through the bread. Any of the sandwiches described here will make a great treat for a gathering or a midnight snack.